Studium Theologicum Salesianum
Salesian Pontifical University : Faculty of Theology - Jerusalem Campus
  Focus on Judaism Lecture Series  
 

Jerusalem is a holy city for Islam, Judaism and Christianity.  As an academic institution committed to interreligious dialogue and ecumenism, the STS seeks to promote a greater awareness of the religious traditions present in the Holy City.  Year by year on a rotating basis, curricular and extracurricular initiatives have focused on the Muslim and Eastern Christian traditions.  For 2012-13, the focus will be on Judaism. 

In addition to an academic course on Judaism offered by Fr. David Neuhaus, SJ, Vicar for Hebrew-Speaking Catholics in the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, the STS will also be offering the “Focus on Judaism” lecture series on alternating Wednesdays.  Click here for dates, topics and speakers.  

On Wednesday, Oct. 17, the series began with a presentation by Br. Elio Passeto, NDS on the work of the Congregation of Our Lady of Zion.  The congregation was founded in 1847 by Frs. Theodore and Alphonse-Marie Ratisbonne, two brothers who converted from Judaism to Christianity and became Catholic priests. Their efforts to maintain dialogue with Judaism and witness to the faith in Jewish contexts were truly ahead of their time, validated later by the Second Vatican Council and various Church pronouncements. While their work began in their native France, the Ratisbonne brothers always dreamt of going to Jerusalem. This became a reality when they established centers at Ecce Homo and Ein Karem. In 1874, they constructed the Ratisbonne Monastery which functioned for years and an orphanage, a haven for Israeli refugees during the 1948 War of Independence, and finally as the Centre Chrétien d’Études Juives (Christian Center for Jewish Studies).  Since 2004, this monastery has been the seat of the Studium Theologicum Salesianum.

 
Home| About us| Courses Schedule| Library | Staff | Photos | Videos | Publications | Archive| Links| Contact
Studium Theologicum Salesianum| Copyright © Salesians of Don Bosco 2013